News from Nonna: President Holland Does It Again……

Thursday, August 20, 2009

President Holland Does It Again……

Brothers and sisters, one of the great consolations of this Easter season is that because Jesus walked such a long, lonely path utterly alone, we do not have to do so. His solitary journey brought great company for our little version of that path—the merciful care of our Father in Heaven, the unfailing companionship of this Beloved Son, the consummate gift of the Holy Ghost, angels in heaven, family members on both sides of the veil, prophets and apostles, teachers, leaders, friends. All of these and more have been given as companions for our mortal journey because of the Atonement of Jesus Christ and the Restoration of His gospel. Trumpeted from the summit of Calvary is the truth that we will never be left alone nor unaided, even if sometimes we may feel that we are. Truly the Redeemer of us all said, “I will not leave you comfortless. [My Father and] I will come to you [and abide with you].”

About ten years ago, we were also going through a trial that I considered almost insurmountable. I could hardly find comfort at that time. Others were receiving persecution because of our family and it was overwhelming. I searched and searched for comfort and finally found what I was yearning for by reading a talk given by President Jeffrey R. Holland. It was entitled, “ Cast Not Away Therefore Thy Confidence.” It was so elemental to my being enlightened. Because of it, I wrote to him and told him how important his thoughts had become to the way I was trying to handle life. I actually got a note back from him and he said, “Remember the white hats always win in the end, always.”

So as we are here in another seemingly life altering trial, I once again have turned to his counsel and inspiration to see me through.

I pray I may not lose my confidence, but I sure am getting tired. All I see are black hats………………..

2 comments:

the cummins family said...

Although you may be having a hard time, you need to know that you are an inspiration to many, myself included. Thanks for your continuing example and for that post. I definitely needed it today. Keep you chin up! :) Love ya, Julie

Lacey said...

I love you guys and my heart is aching! Thank you for the inspirational posts! You are in our prayers and let me know if I can do anything else, please!