News from Nonna: I have my fingers in too many pots!

Saturday, March 22, 2008

I have my fingers in too many pots!


This is kind of a hodge podge of a post but just to let myself know that I haven't been wasting my time and actually have been working hard. (No sitting around eating bon bons for me, other things perhaps :) I have been working on Jacqui's candy table jars and I think they have turned out rather nice. They look better in person, but I have filled them up to make sure we have enough and everything is kosher. Next project is to make the brownies. Any help out there? I am going to be making 300-3" circles, 300-2" circles, and 300-1" circles. I am going to get them done next week and then pray for the freezing fairy to be kind to them. Any suggestions? Oh, to go along with the Baskins and Robbins ice cream, we are making little mini brownie wedding cakes with little pink flowers on the top sprinkled with powdered sugar. Keep your fingers crossed!


No Jacqui I didn't eat these, I had to take them out of little packages!!!! The Cotton Candy ones are the best :)


I thought I was rather clever to put a flower on the inside of the jar.


Sugarless gum at a candy bar. We have to at least try ............................


Salt Water Taffy, strawberry. Did you know so many candies came in pink?

Mentos............................

MMMMMMM & MMMMMMMMM's especially ordered. I haven't broken out the gummi cherries. I dared not take the chance. Other things I can resist so rest easy Jacqui.
ON TO OTHER THINGS..........................
Last week I had one of my favorite families stop by to spend the night. I was so excited to see them. In Overland Park, they became my adopted family and I have watched their kids grow up to be amazing. LeAnne is so dear to me and we served in several YW callings together. Even though she is a lot younger, we are like sisters and she is just one of a kind. The kids call me Aunt Verlinda and Uncle Bishop. They were the ones that kept Joie once when I went out of town. Funny story....................I left Joie alone in the house and the kids took turns coming down to play and to check on her. When Trevor went one evening, he couldn't find her anywhere. So he had his dad Eric come down and they searched and searched. They eventually went and alerted our neighbors, who knew Joie well, and then the whole street was out looking for her. Panic mode started to set in. Eric ended up calling the police! They came and searched our house even the closets! I'm not going to think about it. Finally Eric found Joie asleep in my closet. I had gum in my purse, ( it was hanging on the back on the door handle) which Joie loved wrappers and all, and she had gotten into it and the door closed. She was sleeping peacefully while Eric was having a heart attack. All of the neighbors were telling Eric, oh my gosh, you know how much Verlinda loves that dog????????? Needless to say I didn't ask them to babysit again, Eric's heart wouldn't have stood it. So we are connected and I am grateful that they came and stayed the night and that we could have a little visit and I could get a little love, hugs and kisses, which I need. I was thinking about it the other day and this visit pushed our count of overnight visitors to over a whopping 100 different people. I feel loved...............and grateful.
ON TO OTHER THINGS...................

I had the neatest experience in the temple yesterday. It was a small session and someone came in right behind me and sat down. He said, VERLINDA! I turned around and it was my brothers best friend from high school. (My parents and Mike lived in Brighton for two years while Daddy worked on the pipeline stations there.) His mother happened to be with him also. I think she is now in her 80's. It brought back such great memories. His mother was the one who helped me get my temple clothes before I got married, and they came to my reception in Idaho Falls, and she sat at my book! Can you believe that? Rick reminded me that Richard and I had gone with him to get his endowments and I used to make sure that he and Mike ate at college.........They are coming to the reception and hopefully Mike and his family will be there. If they are both there, it will be a real party!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You know my brother always makes everyone laugh and have a good time, for him a blessing and a burden, but we can't bury our talents, right Mike?
ON TO THE GREATEST THINGS...................




Last but not least, here are a few more pictures of Creed with his Poppa. I can't wait until he knows how much his Nonna loves him. He actually lives by me, can you believe that? One out of Seven!


Dinner before Jaimie went into the hospital. Laurie was such a help! I told Jonathan and Jaimie that they would never be the same after this particular moment. Kids change your life!!!!

Well, back to eating bon-bons!!!!!! See you later!

For Easter I have been graciously invited over to Texie and Scott's. This is Jaimie's aunt who is stunning by the way, and so I am taking dessert. I am making Jaimie's favorite cake, Frozen Lemonade Cake, and just thought I would throw in a picture of Savannah Strawberry Shortcake also, that I made to take over to dinner last week. Wish I didn't like to cook! Well, I actually like to cook just wish it didn't go to my hips, and thighs, and stomach, and arms, and face, oh well.

3 comments:

meg said...

It's a good thing that you are so talented! No one could do it all, and with a smile, but you!!

About the recipes, I posted one on "stir occasionally." For the lettuce wraps, emily searched for the recipe under "pf chang's lettuce wraps" but didn't keep it. Other than that, the mini eggrolls were from Sam's. Good luck!

Jenny said...

Verlinda, WOW! I am so impressed. I want to help and take advantage of all your talents. I miss you so. That baby is absolutely gorgeous. How lucky you are. Love you!

Sadie Lou said...

i wish i could come to jacquis reception! and those jars look adorable! really!! and creed is sooooooooooo cute!!! and i think you need to make some of that frozen lemonade cake! i have never had it before! love you !!! :)