News from Nonna: My Contributions For Cousin Camp

Saturday, July 4, 2009

My Contributions For Cousin Camp

I just have a few pictures to add for cousins camp. It is a tradition that I heard about years ago and just knew that I would have to copy it. We have been doing it for about 4 years now and I have loved every memory made. I hope the grandchildren have too.

This year we had the opportunity to expand our borders a little. Two of my nieces came to help out. Verlinda Camera 240 Thank you so much Aubrey and Brianne, we couldn’t have done it without you! Verlinda Camera 124 My cousin, Tara, and her two boys Gage and Brody also came from Kansas City. (Tara, I feel badly that you mostly have me, an old person, for your first cousin, but I couldn’t be happier!) They were an added bonus for our celebration. Verlinda Camera 109 Verlinda Camera 142 We also had Lacey and her two girls who have recently moved to Colorado (also a second cousin on Richard’s side) come and play.Verlinda Camera 125

I honestly think the big girls had as much fun as the little girls and that is a wonderful blessing as well. We are a tight knit group!

Jerianne was a huge help to me this year. I got home about four days before camp was supposed to start. I had been in KC helping my dad recover from his last surgery. Knee replacement, and I think this is like his 32nd surgery! Anyway, Jerianne did a lot of the work. She is amazing.

Each day had a theme. First day was a “Buggy” situation. We had the menus’ even planned to go along with the day.Verlinda Camera 070 Verlinda Camera 119

We started off by having an opening ceremony and giving out shirts and magnifying glasses for our adventure.Verlinda Camera 076 Verlinda Camera 072

We took the kids to the Butterfly Pavilion that I had heard about and we all loved it! Taryn especially. We got to hold a tarantula, (what I won’t do for these kids!) see and touch all kinds of little buggy animals, and see them let the butterflies loose.Verlinda Camera 087 Verlinda Camera 089 touching the turtle.Verlinda Camera 102 Verlinda Camera 096 Verlinda Camera 111 Verlinda Camera 098

Verlinda Camera 101 This butterfly actually landed on Aunt Nacky’s finger!Verlinda Camera 113 Stuck in the spider web!Verlinda Camera 117 Finding a place in the hive!

After the kids went to bed at night (Nonna’s bed was the sleeping place of choice,)Verlinda Camera 159 then it was party time for the big girls. Lots of games, and laughter, laughter, laughter, stories, and more laughter.Verlinda Camera 128 Verlinda Camera 130

The next day was our pirate theme. We started off by Verlinda Camera 126 eating cannonballs, thanks to Aunt Nacky. Pancakes filled with chocolate chips! Aye

Matey!Verlinda Camera 131 Then on to the treasure map. We played pin the ship and then looking for clues to lost treasures.Verlinda Camera 149 Verlinda Camera 139 Verlinda Camera 135 Verlinda Camera 141 Verlinda Camera 140 Next lunch was had and it was Pirate Ships!Verlinda Camera 144 Then it was on to one of our favorite ocean places, the Denver Acquarium! Man is it amazing. The kids loved every minute of it and would go back time and again. Everything from Jelly Fish, to Sharks, Tigers? and Stingrays that you can feed. (You’ll have to refer to the girls’ blogs because I left my camera at home on this trip) Then on to Long John Silvers for supper!

Day three was our Luau theme. Verlinda Camera 191 SWIMMING was on the docket. The pools here in our rec centers are wonderful and the kids all love to swim and walk across the log, float the lazy river. Which happens to be indoors, because of all things………………………………………………………….Verlinda Camera 168 Verlinda Camera 170 Verlinda Camera 190 Verlinda Camera 207 Verlinda Camera 198 Verlinda Camera 200 Verlinda Camera 206 Verlinda Camera 202

IT SNOWED!!!!!!! My Arizona children loved it and so because they didn’t bring any warm clothes, it was only March, we made snowmen inside. Navie won the snow-elephant contest……Verlinda Camera 165 Verlinda Camera 163 Reflections of Nonna by Shea and Brianne.

The day was completed with a Pinata which we broke with a toilet wand!!!!!!!Verlinda Camera 183 And then we made cousin camp pillows with everyones name and date. Thanks to Aunt Nacky and Tia Jaimie, they were a big hit.Verlinda Camera 192 Verlinda Camera 196

We had closing ceremonies and gave each child an award.Verlinda Camera 218 Verlinda Camera 215 During this last day Poppa came home and brought the lady who started this all. My what a posterity she has. Grandma Jardine was a little overwhelmed but the kids thought that she was something. They were as tall as her!Verlinda Camera 256

PS We also celebrated birthdaysVerlinda Camera 254 and then Nonna fell over! Until next year………………………….Verlinda Camera 252

3 comments:

Lacey said...

Such cute pictures, we had a great time, thanks for inviting us!

Anonymous said...

I still say, you should write Children's books and make enough money for us to travel:-)) Great entry!! I have missed reading the updates!

OK!, so maybe I have seen you inbetween times, but never enough!! And OK! Colorado is pretty, but-------------:-))

Love,
Mom

JJ said...

We did have fun, didn't we?! I love all the photos. I'm going to have to steal a few of them. I'm so happy that you have updated.