News from Nonna: Like Grandmother Like Granddaughter

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Like Grandmother Like Granddaughter

I recently had my mother-in-law visiting me for a month. One of the things that unsettle her about me (I am only mentioning one in here!) is that I am always changing and working in my house. I realize this is something that I do. I come by it honestly. Growing up by my Grandmother Upchurch was a delight in so many ways. I was always there to help rearrange the furniture, which occurred on a weekly basis. She never got tired of moving the furniture and sometimes did it for a specific reason. Uncle Gary would come in late at night, very late, after partying and would fall over the furniture. It was her alarm clock. :) And she just plain loved working in her house. She was always making something or trying something a new way. That’s where I got my catty-corner phrase. Nothing straight against the wall when it could be angled. I remember her making dividers out of beads, always making new curtains, pillows, stuffed animals and the ever famous acrylic grapes. I was a little girl out in the garage hitting those things with a hammer to break off the mold. So many wonderful memories and I am happy that wanting to continually improve my home is one that stuck. I take great joy, satisfaction, and pleasure in improving my home. Like Grandmother, like granddaughter. Verlinda Camera 002

This is a picture that Jerianne gave me several years ago and I have recovered the mat in fabric as the focal point of my “Wedding Wall.”

Verlinda Camera 003

Verlinda Camera 004 Verlinda Camera 005

I made a new wreath to go above my bed in the brown bedroom. I think it adds just that pop of color. The ribbon is stunning.

Verlinda Camera 006

I repainted my main floor bathroom and redid the candles, wreath, and made my own towels. Verlinda Camera 007 Verlinda Camera 008

Verlinda Camera 009 Verlinda Camera 010 So Grandma Jardine, it is not that I am not grateful for what I have, it is not that what I have isn't good enough, it is that I love working in my house. It is my heaven on earth.

2 comments:

JJ said...

I LOVE the updates/changes! I wish I had your eye. I'm not able to make things look like that and it makes me sad (but only after I am reminded that my house doesn't look like that).

Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Verlinda,

Your home is beautiful!!! Mother would be so pleased!!

(hummmm, wonder why I don't like to move furniture????)

Love,
Mom