News from Nonna: Families Are Forever: My Obsession!

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Families Are Forever: My Obsession!

Ever since I was a little girl, I have been very aware of family and relationships. They have always been my highest priority and still continue to be. I had the best childhood and life actually, and it is all because of the people that have been so important in my life. I also have an overwhelming feeling about ancestors that have passed on and ones that I have not even met, so I guess you could say that the “Spirit of Elijah,” resides in me.

Having said that, I try to do everything that I can to make sure my family stays close to one another and that we support and encourage each other. I have always thought that just being “together,” was very important and now people seem to be spread all over the place. SSOOOOOOO, a family reunion seemed like the answer. I started planning this last year in hopes that even our Oklahoma family would join us. I started looking at places all over the map but finally settled on Montana. (I need to tell Lee and Chris how grateful I am for the offer of their beautiful second home in the mountains of Montana. It was more than we could have ever hoped for, certainly more than we could have paid for :) It is one of my favorite spots and the weather was unbelievable. So after many phone calls, many e-mails, hair pulling, coaxing and people backing out, I set in stone the trip to Montana. Let those who will, come! My folks didn’t come because of breathing issues, Uncle Gary didn’t come because he was a poop!, the Treadwells didn’t come because of a wedding…….So the fun people came!

Richard and I went up early to get the food, cabin in order, and make sure the party could start. Chris let me help her make ice cream cakes to take………What fun.Verlinda Camera 023 Verlinda Camera 024 Verlinda Camera 026

OH, and I found out there are NO Calories in a Dairy Queen Cake!!!!!!

Chris and Lee went to the cabin with us along with Mom, for a couple of days. We had a great time with them. We went ATVing, boating, sightseeing, and just enjoying each other. Well on one of our trips to the lake, (our guide and engineer being Lee, armed and all) he seriously is a funny guy! Plus everyone’s favorite uncle……Verlinda Camera 032 Verlinda Camera 031

Since he was “packing,” we were pretty secure. Then comes Mother Nature…..We were out on the most beautiful lake, Lake Cliff and Lake Wade, and spotted Bald Eagles a plenty. As we get to the back of the lake, Lee says, “I think there’s a storm coming.” Keep in mind, we were in an aluminum boat, in the water, in the lightning and thunder, and then it proceeds to HAIL!Verlinda Camera 037

Verlinda Camera 039

Verlinda Camera 043

Bald Eagle Nest at the top of the tree.

Verlinda Camera 045

“OH, Lee, does that look bad……………?”

Verlinda Camera 047

“Nah, we can make it!”

Verlinda Camera 046

Verlinda Camera 048

OH HAIL!!! Precursor to the flu!

Verlinda Camera 049

Dock covered in the “soft” hail that pelted us all across the lake.

Verlinda Camera 050

One of my favorite pictures. Richard on the dock with the clouds resting on the lake.

Verlinda Camera 051 Verlinda Camera 052

It doesn’t get more beautiful than this. Thanks for the memory Lee and Chris.

1 comment:

Nic said...

Those are great pictures!