News from Nonna: ETERNAL PERSPECTIVE

Monday, November 12, 2007

ETERNAL PERSPECTIVE

Some of the things that I wanted to put down in my journal are important to me and for my family some day, I hope. I was back in KC a few months back and my dad pulled out a journal that my Grandmother Malone, who I adored, had kept for a year. As I read through it she just came to life for me, I could picture her and hear her, and it just filled my heart with love for her all over again. She was such a positive person, and nothing and I mean nothing, ever got her down. She had such a hard life, her mother died when she was 4, and she was basically raised by an older sister who was nothing like her. She was pregnant 10 times and out of those pregnancies she had three children who lived. One still birth, some miscarriages, and three children that died because of Hemophilia. I never remember her without a smile on her face and so happy, always happy. I don't know how she did it. She had no worldly goods at all and joined the church when she was in her 70's and lost all of her friends because of it. She worked as a nurse at the hospital which she loved, she was always "on call." She loved flowers, community work. She was in charge of the Cancer Drive in Liberal and I would go and sit with her some days in her office. The rest of the time I was going door to door with my Grandmother Upchurch (who is another heroe, role model and friend) and she would let me collect the money and write out receipts with her. I must have been 6,7,8, and so on.

Whenever she mentioned my name in her journal it just brought tears to my eyes and was so important to me. So that is the reason I haved decided to blog. I want my grandchildren to "know" me and hopefully they will think of me with just a little of the admiration, love, and respect I have for my grandmothers.

4 comments:

Sadie Lou said...

she sounds so great! i just adore people like that. you are one of those people. your are just so happy and loving!!! love you:)

JJ said...

Thank you for sharing some of your remembrances of Grandma Malone. I would welcome hearing and reading some of your stories. I think that is one of the most important things is to remember people through the eyes of those that knew them. Thanks again! Love you!

zippity-do-da said...

I'm crying. I think that is how we all want to be remembered. I need to go back and edit my journals to be a little less honest and a little more positive.

Jacqui said...

and where are all the pictures? it is about time mom that you updated this dang blog! i loved it. thanks for sharing. and i consider myself your greatest miracle =)