News from Nonna: "We Thank Thee Oh God, For A Prophet"

Monday, October 6, 2008

"We Thank Thee Oh God, For A Prophet"

I have been very concerned of late for the state of our country. It seems like there are so many things to worry about. A failing economy, so many practices that are contrary to the principles upon which this great nation was founded. Dishonesty, crime, selfishness on the part of so many and on and on are part of the every day life we are exposed to. So, I have upped my prayers on behalf of our nation. Things in my uneducated mind keep going down and down and I have decided that the only thing I can do is pray. Our options for president have never been so bleak. This is the first time I am not voting for someone, rather voting against someone. I don't think my little vote is going to count for much, although I am and have always been a voter. I think if you don't vote, you don't have the right to complain. Richard is basically retired, and spendable income is no where to be found. I am concerned for my children and grandchildren, but then again I guess parents have always been. I have heard that each generation has their worries. And so, I have anxiously been awaiting conference. I just knew that when conference came around all things would be answered.


I am so grateful that I know that we have a living prophet on the earth today. Conference and the talks were amazing, inspiring, uplifting and just what I needed. Honestly, each talk was so reassuring and motivating. I came away with renewed hope, faith, and joy. The Lord doesn't promise us that life will be easy, he promises comfort and direction along the way. One of my favorite quotes is by President Hinckley. He talks about having Joy in the Journey and I think that as I have grown older, I have honestly tried to incorporate this in my life. "Anyone who imgaines that bliss is normal is going to waste a lot of time running around shouting that he's been robbed. The fact is that most putts don't drop, most beef is tough, most children grow up to be just people, most successful marriages require a high degree of mutual toleration, and most jobs are more often dull than otherwise. Life is like an old time journey.....delays, sidetracks, smoke, dust, cinders, and jolts, interspersed only occasionally by beautiful vistas, and thrilling bursts of speed. The TRICK IS TO THANK THE LORD FOR LETTING YOU HAVE THE RIDE." I try each day to find joy in my journey. Some days I have to look a little harder than others but there is always something to be grateful for. I truly am blessed.

2 comments:

TD said...

Reading your blog helps me to start my day out right! We each need to be thankful each day.

Liz said...

Ohhhh, Verlinda you gave me chills all over my body and brought tears to my eyes! I am a professional worrier and it has gotten so bad lately, that it started to make life seem hopeless. I too couldn't wait for conference to get here and in my humble opinion, it was the best conference I have ever, EVER heard! I probably felt that way, because so many of my thoughts were not based in Faith - but since that wonderful weekend, I feel like a new woman! My prayers are stronger, my scripture reading is deeper and for once our family has actually STUCK with daily scripture reading for more than just a week! The kids are excited now to read each morning and for the rest of the day I feel all warm and happy knowing that they were wrapped in the goodness of the gospel - even if only for 10 minutes. Honestly, it's the best 10 minutes of the day. I have finally just settled on the fact that life is what it is. It's hard sometimes, It's easy sometimes, but all the time, we just have to smile and know everything will all be alright. Don't mean to leave you a novel, I just loved your post. It brightened my day!